That same Volume IX, Number 2 of the Bulletin contained a news item of considerable significance; the Kansas City College of Osteopathy & Surgery announced that its Department of Neurology & Psychiatry under the Chairmanship of Dr. Floyd E. Dunn was the recipient of a Grant in Undergraduate Psychiatry from the National Institute of Mental Health, a Division of the U.S. Public Health Service under the Department of Health, Education and Welfare. This was the first time such a grant had been made to an Osteopathic College. Dr. Dunn was named Director of the Grant, and with the funds supplied by the grant was able increase the teaching staff at the Kansas City College, and to open the Human Relations Clinic as one of the teaching clinics of that school, where under the guidance of the staff of the Department of Neurology & Psychiatry, senior students of the college would work directly in diagnosis and therapy of clinic patients with emotional and/or life adjustment problems. The Grant became effective September 1,1955.
The Nineteenth Annual Meeting of the College, held at the Statler in New York City, July 13-15, 1956, was notable for its adoption and activation of the screening bureau’s recommendations, on which they had been working since the bureau had been set up by the Executive Committee of the College, and membership of that committee was increased to seven (as a minimum) with at least two persons from the A.O.B.N. P. and two from approved Training Centers; the secretary of the College would be the fifth member, a certified neurologist to represent preceptor training in neurology, and one member “without portfolio” completed the minimum of seven; they were to serve two- year terms on a rotation basis with no limitation on number might serve.
The Committee on Evaluation of Neurosurgical Training recommended that the A.O.B.N. P. examine the competency in neurology of those surgeons going into the field of Neurosurgery, and that these examination should be done by qualified neurosurgeons who were members of that Board. It was also recommended that training programs in neurosurgery be approved by the Evaluating Committee of our College that they indicate approved programs to the A.O.B.N.P. and to the appropriate A.O.A. Bureaus. This action resulted from observations by some of our certified neurologists and neurosurgeons that people were starting to get training in neurosurgery under the aegis of the College of Surgeons who according to those reporting were receiving too much teaching in surgical techniques with less than adequate teaching and training in neuroanatomy, neurophysiology and clinical neurology.
It was at this New York meeting that the College approved the Crest and Shield design submitted by the Crest & Shield Committee, and authorized preparation of a 3’ x 5’ bronze College Crest on an 11” x 13” walnut plaque for the Fellows of the College, with the cost of the dies to be borne by the college, and the cost of each plaque to be paid by the Fellow who wished to have one; his Fellowship certificate would as previously be given by the college with the conferring of the degree; ‘Fellow of the American College of Neuropsychiatrists’. The Crest, of course, became the college “logo” and is still seen on the masthead of the Bulletin, on the stationery and on all other official publications of the college.